Monday, June 21, 2010

Start Your Engines . . . Ongina Interview


In 2008 the name Ongina was on everyones lips as every week we would discussed our favourite contestant on Rupaul's Drag Race. Each week we saw a more outrageous outfit than the last, shared another laugh out loud moment and more importantly we got to know and love both Ongina the performer and person. 




Today Ongina has a busy schedule doing shows around America,designing head pieces and putting together beautiful looks for her shows.The star is also working on a new television show. Today I spoke to her about everything from her experiences on the show,her style and her future.


Selected from an array of drag performers, Ongina was picked to be on the first season of 'Rupaul's Drag Race'. Each week the public grew to love the performer for both her freedom to be free as a performer and her courage to discuss her personal life in order to help others,''I didn't know exactly what was going to happen after being on the show, but it changed my life and I am now able to share my art of drag as how I see it, bald and fabulous, to the entire world.  I've also overcome a huge demon in my life coming out as HIV positive on national TV because it's helped me be okay and not be afraid!'' Another area of the performer that the public loved was her style. Each week we saw a new outfit more fantastic and outrageous than the last.When speaking about fashion Ongina showed a passion for her style and looks and spoke about putting alot of thought behind each look. 
''My favorite look is the black feather top and feather skirt with the studded Burberry Prorsum shoes and the Barbie hat that I made'',says the star when I asked which look she preferred.'' Then of course the outfit I wore when I won Viva Glam!  I had a skirt I remade into a dress and a Balmain jacket with tassles on them and Proenza Schouler shoes and my headband was from H&M. I love fashion, that's why I wanted to do drag in the first place!''


Aside from putting together strong looks,Ongina also designs amazing headpieces.''It all started in New York City when a friend introduced me to David Mason!  A genius in hat making.  I saw his collection and I was instantly hooked.  I asked if I could wear them and he said yes!  He's AMAZING!  I also make some depending on the song I'm about to perform or the outfit I'm going to wear.  It's all relative and I like being creative, so it's sort of an outlet.''

Ongina draws her inspiration from various mediums. When it comes to fashion,the girl knows what shes talking about,''I really love a few different designers like Helmut Lang, Prada, Lanvin, Givenchy and more.  I just wish I could afford everything they create! As far as style icons, I don't really have one, although as cliche as it sounds, I love Carry Bradshaw in sex in the city...so I guess I love Patricia Field, since she's the genius behind their looks.  Bur as far as what inspire me, I love looking at people and seeing their take on what fashion is.  I'm surrounded by fashionable people but it doesn't end there.  I'm constantly travelling, so I see more.  Everyone has their own style, it's really how they own that style!  As far as songs I like to perform; I try and keep it Top 40s, that way my fans can really feel it and sing along.''  ''I have an eclectic taste in music.  You'll find a totally random list in my iPod!  I love music, it inspires me everyday'',the star said on her choice in music genre.


Ongina,when not in drag works full time as a visual merchandiser for a botique in the states. Working full time, doing shows - you would think there would be no more time for any other projects,you would think wrong! ''RuPauls Drag U premiers in July which is a spin off show from Drag Race.  I'm part of it, so I'm gonna have viewing parties in my house.  I'm also travelling a lot of cities this summer, so that keeps me busy along with the full time day job!''

Finishing our interview, Ongina gives tips to future drag stars,'Own it and don't be afraid!  Individuality is key and energy is important!' and on any plans for a trip to this side of the glittering pond,'I WOULD LOVE TO!  I'm hoping to travel the world doing drag.  I LOVE IT!'.


RuPaul's Drag U is  premiering July 19th on LOGO in the US and you can see me as the host of the amazing HIV+ME web series on Logotv.com .

Visit www.ongina.com for more details and bookings.